Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Measure of Perspective and Madness

To an extent or degree things like boldness, daring, and insanity are a matter of perspective. When I informed my cousin and our mutual friend that I was making a formal for artist series without a pattern, they looked at me like I was a half crazy and brave soul for attempting it. I don't quite see the brave aspect of it because it's a basic sleeveless shirt on top and an A-line skirt on the bottom. However, because there was no pattern, I didn't get the size quite right nor was it... symmetrical.

Through trial and error I have managed to get it fitting properly, but to get to that point was a matter of insanity. If you've never done it, you can only imagine how hard it is to put on a dress in-side-out, see what's wrong, pin, and then take it off and fix it. It becomes particularly hard when part of the dress is too small and needs taking out.

I ended up enlisting my Mom's help because quite frankly, there is no way a person can sew and then potentially alter a dress all by themselves without a sewing manikin. I do not have a sewing manikin, and I am deeply contemplating asking for one for Christmas! The only things inhibiting me from requesting one is the fact they're expensive and I have no where to put it. But this is beside the point.

Another bit more madness related to the dress is the fact that the dress was mostly sewn before I had a clue what sleeves I wanted, which is a relatively important part of the dress, considering I go to a baptist Bible college. Last night, after reviewing multiple dresses and sleeves from a couple costume sights, I decided to give it a blended medieval/Greek flavor (allowing it to be more flowing and unfitted, but keeping a slight twist of medieval). The dress also has an optional wrap (sort of thing) that will be able to be worn or not depending on my mood.

It is decidedly simpler than the last dress I made which was a fitted, blue jacquard, Arwen looking dress with large white veil sleeves and a glittering white trim with belt and it laces up the back. This dress I am now making is a dark red crushed velvet with shimmery cream/white sleeves and (when I finally get to JoAnn's to get it) the trim will be the same color as the sleeves and simple, but elegant. Where as the blue dress had trim around the neck, sleeves, and then the belt, the red one will only have trim around the neck and a belt.

Well, my hope is to get this dress done completely before I leave Wednesday, and to do so means I must now run off and work on it!

No comments: