Monday, November 19, 2007

A bit of rhyme

While feeling so inclined to post, yet lacking subject matter to post about, I began hunting through my doc files and ran across a poem I wrote in September. I opened it, re-read it, added a stanza, and now think it's something close to presentable. Not being particularly fond of this poem, and not seeing much harm in letting the world see it, I post it here for the whole 6 of you that actually meander to my blog on occasion.

There Were Four

Four there sat and then sat one
'Round a table under sun.
One by one they walked away
And in between the trees did stray.
Now I sit here and do not stir
Unless we lose the things that were
And they are swept away by time
And others come with their own rhyme.
As long as one sits, mem’ry’s there
And one can then the mem'ry share

But if all stand and move away
Then all is lost to yesterday
And things we did and things that done
Shall be lost always under sun.

Four there sat and then sat one
'Round a table under sun
One by one they went away
And have left me behind to stay
But now I too shall up and leave
And in the trees I’ll stray.

written - September 14, 2007 - edited - Nov. 19, 2007

1 comment:

Stephen Harder said...

It kinda reminds me of A. E. Housmans poem "The Cherry Tree"...I think that is the title...it's either that or "Lovliest of Trees" Anyway, nice work.