Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Opinion Movie Review


If you like super-hero action flicks Iron Man is the movie you want to go see next.

In case you don't know who Iron Man is, then let me give you a brief summary. He started out as a self centered, rich, playboy, weapons design genius, and after being captured by a terrorist group of sorts and sees that his weapons are being used against US troops, he manages to escape and decides to take his life and work in a radically different direction.

Now for the opinions -
I thought the acting was very well done, the special effects were amazing, and the dialogue managed to escape the typical action flick transgressions of cheesy one liners and catch phrases. The one liners were really good! The conversations actually sounded normal, and... amazingly enough, you actually believe that the characters exist. The characters were crafted to be real, deep, and believable. This seems to be a pathetic rarity in most films, but I firmly feel this one managed to achieve it.

True to most of the Marvel superhero movies I have seen, there has been very limited blood and gore with out sacrificing one minute of battle or action. The fight sequences I thoroughly enjoyed, especially since I could see what was going on and not get motion sick. (There are few things I dislike more than battle sequences with odd angles that move around too much! Case and point - Transformers.)

As far as "scenes" and language go - I found myself startled at the outset by a minute or less "scene" and wondering about the rest of the movie, but pleasantly found that was the one and only time I was left coughing and looking down at the floor. I understand why it was put in, but it definitely could have been more tastefully avoided and still gotten the point across. However, I am torn about that because it really did help to contrast things later on. Either way, you'll see it coming early on, so look down then keep watching. Language was very minimal. I honestly expected a lot more than there was, and was pleasantly surprised it was missing. More or less, you'll probably hear more if you walk by some teenagers at Wal*Mart than you will in this movie.
By the end, I found myself totally engulfed and 'lost' in the movie - something which doesn't happen very often.

Good job Iron Man!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.