Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Frank Prayers

Today was the Day of Prayer. We spent most of the day in the gym praying. I wrote out what could arguably be one prayer, but in three parts. As I wrote it, I found it is really more like a testimony. It is also a preface to the story of my life.

A Frank Prayer:

Lord, what words? I have no words no words that describe what you are unto me. No words have I that can express my gratitude for what you have done. Words are empty and are fled from me, and all I have left are the inarticulate thoughts and feelings that words cannot describe. I would try to articulate these things, but rather than making what I feel and think vague, I shall simply send my feelings and thoughts to you.

My fear is that words would cheapen all that is inside of me. The language of heaven cannot be translated into the tongues of men; only into the hearts of men. Thus, I do not try. Perhaps I were a more skilled or practiced poet I could combine rhyme, meter, and rhythm to convey what I feel, but I am not so great a poet. I am glad, Lord, that you understand clearly what exists so clearly in my mind and heart and so vaguely in words. You understand what I cannot say. You can read what you have written on the tables of my heart. I only partially, somewhat understand what is there. Teach me, please, to understand it clearer. It is your perfect story written there, tell it to me always! Explain it to me always! Teach me the language in which it is written, O Lord!

You have raised me up from the pit in which I was. You have cause me to grow, yet I am still young. Please grow me up until I understand your story and the language in which it was writ. May I never forget that it is you that raised me, and it is you that keeps me lifted up. May I never take any credit for what you do in and through me. I love you, I praise you, I want naught more than to see you face to face. I know I will be home soon, for all times are not far away at all. When I get home, shall I understand all the wonderful things you have done for me? I can only begin to be grateful for what you have done. I do not yet understand how wonderful you are to me. I long for the day I can understand the fullness of your grace and love. I long for home, Lord. I long for home! May I not grow weary on the Road heading home. Keep me walking in the way you would have me walk. May my longing keep me running faithfully. Oh Lord, I love you! I thank you! I praise you! A-men!

That was my prayer at the beginning of everything. At the end of the day, it was a little different. Why? Because I learned a lot today.

Another Frank Prayer:

Lord, you never cease to amaze me! It amazes me how much you can do in a short time. Is that not how you work? Great and mighty wonders and works in a short space. It throws back into perspective how short life is and how fleeting time is and how whatsoever you do, it lasts forever. And that all times with you are present tense. In these few, short hours you have showed me how wretched I am and how wonderful and glorious you are. Your grace and love amaze me! How you could love such a wretched creature as myself is mind boggling. Grace, Lord. You spoke to me today of Grace. And Home. Your grace will bring me home. What a glorious thought! Again Lord, I am at a loss for words. My heart swells with so many different things at the thought of what you have done and how great you are. I think today I have come to understand you a little better, and learned how little of you I know. Lord, the lessons you taught me today are beyond words. I praise you with my heart, for I know not the words with which to praise you. I love you Abba, my dear, beloved and loving Father. A-men!

No comments: